Saturday 9 October 2010

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - DVD - 6/10/10

Hmmmm.

Where to start.

Alright.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" made me laugh on more than one occasion and it also reminded me of the horrors of breaking up with someone you thought was "the one" (they never are of course...otherwise you wouldn't have broken up with them).

Jason Segel who also starred in two of the films that will forever feature in my top ten most loathed; "Knocked Up" and "I Love You Man" was really good as the broken "Peter Bretter" who runs away to Hawaii to find himself after breaking up with his glamorous actress girlfriend only to find her in the same hotel with her new lover.

That sounds like faint praise doesn't it?

He is good.

Someone else is good in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and this is where it gets tricky.

Russell Brand.

I don't think anyone has ever made me lurch so violently from love and adoration to hatred and rage as Russell Brand.

Here he plays Brit-rocker Aldous Snow...all faux spirituality, rampant sexuality and barely disguised sex addiction. Swap "Brit-rocker" for "Brit-comic" and we can see that this role was hardly a stretch form Mr Brand but credit where it is due; he was funny, he had presence and he was watchable.

More faint praise?

What do you want from me?

Just be thankful I was in a "loving" frame of mind when I wrote this!

No comments:

Post a Comment